The Weekly Authority: 📱 Pixel Prototype
⚡ Welcome to The weekly authoritythe Android Authority newsletter that breaks down the top Android and tech news of the week. 197th edition here, with this Pixel 7 prototype, Galaxy foldable specs, Final Fantasy 16 updates, and some good news for coffee drinkers.
🎉This week marked the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations here in the UK (the first British monarch to celebrate 70 years of service!), so I took advantage of the two-day national holiday and we organized a street party here in town!
Popular news this week
- Top Gun: Maverick’s Memorial Day Weekend Opener grossed $124 million at the box office last Sunday night ($248 million worldwide).
- Season 3 of The Boys hit Amazon Prime Video on Friday and the the first reviews are here.
- And Stranger Things creators answer burning questions before volume 2 (spoiler alert if you haven’t already read volume 1!).
- Meanwhile, Netflix’s New Password Sharing Crackdown Is a Confusing Mess in test markets in Costa Rica, Chile and Peru.
- Speaking of Netflix, a abandoned trailer for new action comedy The Man From Torontowith Kevin Hart and Woody Harrelson.
- Owen Wilson’s superhero movie is coming to Paramount Plus: but no official release date for Secret Headquarters yet.
- Spider enemies now look away: A remake of Arachnophobia is in the workswith Christopher Landon on board as director, James Wan and Michael Clear named producers.
- And: Beavis and Butt-Head Do The Universe have a release datepremiering on Paramount Plus June 23 – plus, there’s a trailerand a new revival series coming later this year.
- We’ve ranked Sam Raimi’s movies from worst to best, including Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.
- Also this week: Our pick of the best new movies to stream, from 13 Going on 30 to Colossal.
- Bad news for Diablo fans: Many Samsung Exynos-powered phones can’t run Diablo Immortal, but Blizzard is working on a fix.
- Speaking of, Diablo Immortal will not be released in Belgium or the Netherlandsdue to country laws regarding lootboxes.
- Steam Deck docking station postponed indefinitely with Valve citing “parts shortages and COVID shutdowns.”
- And Amazon is finally launching an invitation system to buy a PS5 or an Xbox Series X.
- The Summer Game Fest unveils its program of more than 30 participating companies, from June 9 to 12.
- Meanwhile, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order sequel is coming next year will only be new generation.
- The first one Modern Warfare 2 trailer is here ahead of the full gameplay reveal on June 8.
- And Modern Warfare 2 art sparks speculation on Call of Duty platform – could the game return to Steam?
- BioWare Confirms Next Big Fantasy RPG Title — Dragon Age: Dreadwolf, but don’t expect it this year.
- Veteran Square-Enix Producer Shinji Hashimoto Retires – often credited with spawning the Kingdom Hearts franchise, he also worked on FF VIII, FF IX and The World Ends With You, as well as its sequel.
- Sony bets on live service games after buying Bungie — according to Tech Crunch the company plans to spend 49% of its PlayStation Studios development budget on live games by the end of the year.
- And one of Japan’s most revered game developers is making a game for AppleSubscription Service by: Yu Suzuki and his team are working on Air Twister, which will be released on June 24.
- Also: This interview with Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney dives into Fortnite, the Metaverse, and more…
Hadlee Simons/Android Authority
- Vivo X80 Pro review: Vivo’s best, (mostly) refined – “It doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but it’s still a welcome upgrade over its already excellent predecessor.”
- Samsung Galaxy A52s review: Jack of all trades – Premium build, great display, long-lasting battery life, and long-term software support make this easy to recommend.
- Huawei Watch GT 3 Pro review: Titanium, ceramic and compromise – “A lot to offer but hampered by too many software flaws, missing features at launch and an extremely limited third-party app ecosystem, unless you plan to stick to a Huawei phone.”
- Fossil Gen 5 Smartwatch review: An oldie but a goodie – The best Wear OS 2 watch you can buy.
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra review: The power user’s best friend – “In addition to the best specs and feature-rich, widely supported software, the Galaxy S22 Ultra comes with the S Pen and a plethora of productivity tools unmatched by the competition.”
Gary Sims/Android Authority
This week PlayStation’s latest State of Play gave us a lot to get excited about, including Final Fantasy 16 news:
If you missed it, you can catch up herebut otherwise keep reading for anything you missed:
- Things started with a new Resident Evil 4 remake trailer, which we have been waiting for but still looking forward to. It arrives on March 24, 2023, in addition to being developed for PSVR2, and will arrive on PC and Xbox Series X/S.
- PSVR2 news continued with a look at Resident Evil Village – to be honest, it scares me a bit, but kudos to anyone brave enough to play it! After the horror, there was another spooky title, The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners Ch2, and we also got a glimpse of a VR version of No Man’s Sky.
- But the PSVR2 trailer everyone wanted to see was a first look at Horizon Call of the Mountainwith amazing gameplay – plus news about a new patch for Horizon Forbidden West, which landed on Thursday.
Everything you need to know about PlayStation Plus
- On to the news that excites me the most: we have a release date for Stray! It’s July 19! We have also another trailer which showed some gameplay. Oh, and it will be included in higher tiers of PlayStation Plus.
- What else? Spider-Man is coming to PC on August 12, with Miles Morales to follow soon.
- We’ve seen a survival horror trailer The Callisto Protocolgiving us some serious Dead Space vibes and coming December 2nd.
- More rollerdromewas released on August 16: the roller derby sci-fi game looks pretty fun – and an anime action/dating sim eternal nights arrives in early 2023.
- In case you missed it: Street Fighter 6 took a look, showing new character Jamie alongside Luke, Chun-Li and Ryu, coming in 2023, with Xbox Series X/S and PC versions also on the way.
- Critically Acclaimed Tunic comes to PS4 and PS5 on September 27, and Season: A letter to the future looks intriguingly spellbinding, coming this fall.
- But the biggest update, the one everyone was waiting for, was the Final Fantasy XVI news. We have a trailer, alongside a summer 2023 release window. I can’t. Wait.
- June 6-10: Apple’s WWDC 2022
- June 9-12: Summer game party
- June 10: The Quarry is out on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X, Xbox One
- June 10: Jurassic World Dominion in theaters
- June 12: Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase at 12 p.m. CT
- June 20-23: Collision (Toronto)
- June 26-July 3: Summer games done quickly
- July 5 at 8 a.m.: Asus ROG Phone 6 launched
- July 19: Stray is coming to PS5, PS4, PC
Tech Tweet of the Week
A few DALL-E 2 Kermit The Frog inspired qualities – the Sopranos one is pretty awesome:
Paula Beaton, editor.